I barely remember the late 1940s and early 1950s when McCarthyism had the nation in the grip of a second “Red Scare.” It wasn’t until high school when us kids really learned about Joe McCarthy and his witch hunt for Communists in every nook and cranny of government and society.
That was another low time in our history, and a lot of innocent people were destroyed personally and professionally as part of his accusations and investigations.
The last several years have been tumultuous in both our government and society. I am noticing eerie parallels in how similar tactics are once again being used - not just against one individual, but also potentially against anyone and everyone who supported him, contributed to his campaigns or voted for him.
The riots that turned into the attack on our nation’s Capitol hurt us all. I don’t know how long the investigations will take to determine the true causes and extent of any planned and coordinated actions among groups or individuals.
I am truly disheartened by how the former president’s opponents have seized upon his remarks (has any major media broadcast the entire speech?) as the basis for the second round of impeachment. But anyone who has been around politics knows a good scapegoat is always necessary to achieve success.
This charade reminds me of Judge Roy Bean, “We’re going to have a fair and impartial trial followed by a fair and impartial hanging.”
Even the Supreme Court was smart enough to bail out of this farce.
Our politicians have always found a way of slicing and dicing members of their perceived opposition - domestic terrorists are next.
So, here are my thoughts on what it’s going to take to be on the government’s list of domestic terrorists - with apologies to Jeff Foxworthy.
You might be an American domestic terrorist if …
- You have a Bible. It’s bad if you know what’s in it. It’s very bad if you read it often.
- You are an active member of a Christian religious denomination; Evangelicals are bad, Catholics who faithfully practice their religion are very bad.
- You own at least one firearm - your probability increases exponentially with each additional firearm and is off the chart if any gun looks like an assault rifle.
- You believe there are only two genders; and you believe marriage is between one man and one woman.
- You never wanted the government in your bedroom; and now their presence in the bathroom is over the top.
- You taught your children manners, courtesy, responsibility, good morals, expected them to help with family chores and to do the best they could at school, and used appropriate discipline when rules were violated.
- You are a woman who is married, has 1.5 children or more, and does not have a full-time career outside of the home - you are suspected of not taking your feminine role seriously.
- You believe that all lives matter and should be protected from conception to natural death.
- You believe that every elected official at the local, state and national levels owes their allegiance to the Constitution of the United States and the other documents that apply to the duties and responsibilities of state and local government offices.
- You believe that politicians’ first responsibility is to their constituents and not their party or large contributors.
- You recognize and respect the authority of public safety personnel - law enforcement, firefighters, first responders.
- You respect and are thankful for the men and women of the armed forces who secured our freedom so many years ago and who are at the vanguard of maintaining our safety. You pray for them and their families.
- You believe that morality is infinitely more important than legality.
- You understand the powers enumerated by the Constitution are meant to limit the exercise of power by the government. The people do not serve the government - it’s the other way around.
The only reason the country is still being held together is the people in the above groups. Is that why they are now targets?
If you cannot see the damage inflicted by antifa and similar groups and what has already been done to our country in barely a week of executive edicts, you are part of the real problem. Look in the mirror for the real domestic terrorists. I weep for you and this nation.
Well, that’s the way I see it.