Hey, kids! It's almost time for the summer reading program to start. Thursday, May 30, from 5-6:30 p.m., will be the first time you can sign up. That's at the library, and if you can't be there then, you can sign up any time after that.
Science is the theme of this summer's program, so there will be lots of exciting books to read and lots of great events to attend. You'll hear all about it as the weeks go by.
A friend of the library has just donated the DVD of "Mamma Mia." How about this - check out the DVD, go home, call for pizza delivery and settle in on the couch for a satisfying movie night.
If you don't want to drive to the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre or spend money on gas and ticket, get it for free from the library. Plus you can sing along with the actors at the top of your voice.
Children's museum program
The Brainerd Lakes Area Children's Museum will present an additional program for children aged toddlers through first grade. It'll be held here in the library's meeting room from 10 a.m. until noon Saturday, April 27.
Parents are encouraged to stay and interact with their children during the program. All events are free; however, any donation to the children's museum will be appreciated.
Notes about this and that
• The display table features Earth Day (April 22). Happy Birthday, Mom!
• The first artist in our new artist's display is Kat Beireis, local photographer. Come in and see her work through April.
• Don't forget Preschool Story Time every Wednesday at 11 a.m. at the library.
• Come in and visit our Cozy Corner Book Shop. We have adults' and kids' used books for sale, and games and puzzles, for very reasonable prices, plus a table of free books
• We've taken to setting up a jigsaw puzzle on one of our tables. Like to do them? Come in and put in any pieces you can find.
We had a great surprise a couple of weeks ago when an anonymous visitor to the library added a little something to our donation jar. That "little something" turned out to be $50, which we discovered when we were closing up for the day. Thank you to that very generous visitor.
As most of you know, being a totally independent library, we get no money from the county or state and depend on our own various fund drives (book sale, brat sale, June letter drive, etc.) to help us run the library; so any donations outside of those, we appreciate very much. Thanks again.
Thank you to all of our superb volunteers who make this library a great place to spend some time! If you're interested in volunteering a short amount of time each week, or on occasion, come in and fill out an application. It's fun and rewarding.
Dates to note
• Saturday, April 27, 10 a.m. to noon: Children's program by Brainerd Lakes Area Children's Museum. See above.
• Thursday, May 2, 10:30 a.m.: First Thursday Book Club meeting. Book to be discussed is "In the Kingdom of Ice," by Hampton Sides. June's book will be "The Pair of Blue Eyes," by Thomas Hardy. The book club is open to anyone interested. There's no need to call ahead.
Pequot Lakes Library
Address: 31117 Rasmussen Road, Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
Website: www.pequotlakeslibrary.org. Log onto our catalog at the website.
Hours: Monday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Tuesday 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Wednesday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Thursday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Closed Sundays and holidays.
The library has six computers equipped with DSL internet service available without charge to the public. Wireless internet is also available.