Safety tips offered to age at home
Most adults prefer to age in place - that is, to remain in their home as long as possible.
Falls are the most common home accidents for older adults. Six out of every 10 falls happen at home with 69% occurring in the bathroom. Homes are a great place to begin to “Take a Stand to Prevent Falls!" It is recommended that older adults survey their homes to identify hazards and make changes to safely age in place. Here are some tips to help get started:
- Install grab bars in the bathroom, use a non-slip bathmat.
- Remove clutter, loose rugs and cords from walkways.
- Color contrast edges of steps to distinguish changes of elevation, install and use railings.
- Wear supportive non-slip footwear; even within the home. Don’t hurry.
- Wipe up spills immediately to avoid slipping on a wet surface.
- Use a proper step stool with a hand rail. Never use a folding chair.
For more resources, Fall Prevention Bingo and a Fall Prevention Home Safety Checklist, visit the Cass County’s Live Healthy website, including Fall Prevention Home Safety Checklist at http://www.co.cass.mn.us/livehealthy/falls_prevention.php.