Pequot Lakes School orientations scheduled
Parents of students encouraged to prepare for coming school year
With the first day of school rapidly approaching, the Pequot Lakes School District encourages parents and families to prepare. The first day of school for grades 1-12 is Tuesday, Sept. 7, while kindergartners will begin Thursday, Sept. 9.
Families can register new students any time from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays. Parents or guardians must bring their child’s birth certificate, immunization records and Social Security number, along with their home and mailing addresses. Registration is done at the appropriate school office, depending on the child’s age.
Families of middle school students are encouraged to attend the “New to PLMS Family Event” at 4 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 2. All new registrations, tours and questions will be addressed at this event.
For high school students, counselors will meet with new students by appointment only from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 24-27. Calling the high school office at 218-568-9324 to make an appointment.
Open house and orientation events
- Early Childhood Programs (ages birth to 5 years): 4-7 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 1, or 9-11 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 2, divided by the alphabet (4-5 p.m. for last names starting A-I, 5-6 p.m. for J-R, 6-7 p.m. for S-Z).
Early Childhood Family Education, School Readiness, and Learning is Fun Preschool open house will be at the Early Childhood Center at the east end of Eagle View Elementary School. Meet your child’s teacher, drop off school supplies and complete paperwork before school starts. For more information or to sign up for classes, call 218-562-7520.
- Eagle View Elementary School (grades 1-4): 4-7 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 1, separated by the alphabet (4-5 p.m. for A-I, 5-6 p.m. for J-R, 6-7 p.m. for S-Z).
Meet your child’s teacher, organize your child’s locker/desk, visit the Community Fair activities in the cafeteria, update your information for PowerSchool, and stop in the office to take care of paperwork or lunch accounts.
- Eagle View Elementary School (kindergarten): Parents/guardians will receive a letter giving a 20-minute scheduled conference time with the classroom teacher on Sept. 7 or 8.
Before or after that conference time, students will have school pictures taken, hearing and vision checks completed, and parents/guardians may stop in the office to update information.
- Middle School WEB Day (5th grade orientation and open house): 1-5 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 26, for students with a parent/guardian meeting from 4-5 p.m.
The school district combined the fifth grade WEB orientation and open house to provide a personalized experience for incoming fifth-grade students and their parents/guardians. Fifth-grade households will take part in a comprehensive “Welcome to Middle School” starting in the middle school gym. It is highly recommended that both students and parents/guardians participate. Details will come via mail and/or email.
- Middle school/high school (grades 6-12) open house: 4-7:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 2.
Pick up and walk through student schedules, visit classrooms, organize lockers and establish or replenish lunch accounts. There will be opportunities to gather information about various programs and participate in Q and A sessions with the middle school office team/school counselor.
- New to Pequot Lakes Schools event: Eagle View open house night, 4 or 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 1, in the upper gym; middle school and high school open house night, 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 7, in the high school auditorium.
These events are for families at each school site who are new to the community.