Nisswa fire is reminder of chimney maintenance
No injuries in Friday fire on Clark Lake Road.
The Nisswa Fire Department responded to what may have been a chimney fire on Clark Lake Road around 4:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 19.
Upon arrival, the fire inside the home was spreading, but crews had to be sure that no occupants were inside, in which time winds fanned the flames.
"We had a wind off the pond back there that was feeding the fire and causing the fire to grow," said Nisswa Fire Chief Shawn Bailey. "That was a little bit challenging. The fire was starving for oxygen when we got there. At first we weren't sure if there was someone home. We went after a primary search, then fire extinguishment. After that, fire had spread through the attic space in the house and caused a lot of damage."
Once the building was confirmed empty, the crew, consisting of more than two dozen firefighters from Nisswa, Pequot Lakes and Mission Township, fought to extinguish the fire. Also present were North Memorial Ambulance, Nisswa Police Department and Crow Wing County Sheriff's Department.
As is common this time of year, the fire appeared to have originated in the chimney, Bailey said.
"We believe it started with a chimney fire," he said. "Those are pretty common if people haven't cleaned their chimneys. That's what I recommend. Please get your chimney cleaned and checked every year, especially if you're using it for primary heat."
The fire was seen by a passing bystander who saw smoke around the home and possible fire in a picture window.
The crew left the scene around 7 p.m..
This was an active weekend for the department.
"For the weekend, Nisswa fire also responded to three medical calls and one severe car crash," Bailey said.
No information was yet available on the crash.
Travis Grimler is a staff writer for the Pineandlakes Echo Journal weekly newspaper in Pequot Lakes/Pine River. He may be reached at 218-855-5853 or email@example.com.