Pine River: Winter work concluding on dam project
In two weeks, crews working to install the rock riffle dam in Pine River may go on break to wait for spring thaws.
PINE RIVER — Landwehr Construction turned off the water diversion Tuesday, Feb. 8, after completing the rock riffle weir construction for the majority of the dam project in Pine River.
Water was just beginning to cascade over the first row of rocks as the Pine River City Council held its regular meeting Feb. 8. Andrew Beadell, with Bolton & Menk engineering firm, told the council it would take some time before the water could build up and begin flowing through the newly constructed weir section of the dam.
Beadell said the crew will shift gears to extend the weir across the closed off diversion channel. Once that is complete, the riffle design will cross the river bank to bank. The work to install the rock riffle in the river is expected to conclude in the next two weeks, after which Landwehr will take a break from the project to await the spring thaw.
Once weather has warmed, Landwehr still has landscaping, retaining wall construction and work on the parking lot, all of which must be done in warmer weather.
In other business Feb. 8, the council:
- Scheduled a public hearing at 5:45 p.m. March 8 to review an amendment to city zoning ordinances to make them more pliable for new business types. The amendment comes following a request by Ryan Nelson and Jason Marcum, who are seeking a location to run a distillery.
- Approved requests to use the Cass County Fairgrounds for a Minnesota High School Rodeo event May 14-15 and an auction in June.
- Approved the sale of two industrial park lots to Glen Halverson, of B&H Enterprises.
- Transferred a lease agreement for a hangar at the Pine River Regional Airport to Ron Sieling.
- Approved a gambling license allowing Lakes Area Mat Rats to hold a raffle.
Travis Grimler is a staff writer for the Pineandlakes Echo Journal weekly newspaper in Pequot Lakes/Pine River. He may be reached at 218-855-5853 or email@example.com.