Pine River ramps up for first Dam Days June 23-26
Annual Summerfest event was renamed in honor of new dam.
PINE RIVER — To celebrate the new rock riffle dam, Pine River Summerfest was renamed Dam Days. The celebration will run Thursday-Sunday, June 23-26, in tandem with the Cass County Fair in Pine River.
The annual summer event has had many monikers over the years, including Dairy Days and Moonlite Madness. Dam Days may be the first name since Dairy Days to highlight one of the city's big attractions.
Many favorite Summerfest events will continue under the new moniker, along with new programming. New is the "Chuck-a-Duck" contest, where participants will lob rubber duckies into floating rings on the river for prizes.
Running the entire weekend is the annual Pine River Friends of the Library book sale in the Cass County Fairgrounds commercial building. The sale is noon to 9 p.m. Thursday, June 23; 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday, June 24-25; and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, June 26.
Throughout the weekend, Dam Days buttons will be for sale at the chamber for $3. Medallion hunt clues will be posted starting Thursday on the Pine River Chamber of Commerce Facebook page.
The Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church's Rhubarb Fest will also return with baked goods on sale from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
Saturday, June 25, is the big day with events throughout the day.
- All day: Sidewalk sales, swimming, bike rentals on the Paul Bunyan Trail, snow cones and cotton candy.
- 8:30 a.m.: Registration for the Dam Kayak Race/obstacle course starting at the Kater Park Beach.
- 9 a.m.: Dam Kayak Race begins at Kater Park Beach.
- 10 a.m.-1 p.m.: Bounce house and bubbles at the corner of Third Street.
- 11 a.m.: Dam Days parade with lineup at the school.
- After the parade: Dunk tank fundraiser at the corner of Third Street.
- 1-2 p.m.: Chuck-a-Duck fundraiser at Kater Park beach.
- 1-2 p.m.: Recycled binoculars kids craft at the dam shelter.
- Sunset: Fireworks