Deadline to homestead for property taxes approaches

Crow Wing County applications must be received by Saturday, Dec. 31

We are part of The Trust Project.

BRAINERD — Crow Wing County Land Services encourages eligible property owners to apply for homestead status on their property.

Homestead applications for owner occupied and relative occupied properties must be received by Saturday, Dec. 31, for the 2023 payable tax year.

Read more local area news
Lee and Penny Anderson are well known for their involvement in area communities
The temperature hovered right around zero degrees throughout the afternoon.
Take a look at just some of what was on the Echo Journal's e-paper pages in the last week at
Craig Wadzink has been volunteering since 2018
Group enjoys the outdoors throughout winter season

Applications are available at, in person at 322 Laurel St., Suite 15, Brainerd, or by calling 218-824-1010.

Homestead classification may affect the amount of property taxes payable in 2023, and it may affect property tax refund eligibility.

“Receiving homestead on your property may make a substantial reduction to your property taxes,” Michaelle Cronquist, assessing services supervisor, said in a news release. “We encourage everyone who qualifies to submit their application before the 31st."


Contact Land Services to file a homestead application on or before Saturday, Dec. 31, if one of the following applies:

  • You purchased a property in the past year and you, or a qualifying relative, occupy the property as your primary residence on or before Saturday, Dec. 31.
  • You, or a qualifying relative, occupy the property as your primary residence and the property is currently classified as seasonal or nonhomestead. 

A qualifying relative can be a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece of the owner or owner’s spouse. This relationship may be by blood or marriage.
For unoccupied agricultural property, a qualifying relative can be a child, grandchild, sibling or parent of the owner or owner’s spouse.

In addition, contact Crow Wing County Land Services if the property owner or a qualifying relative of the property owner no longer occupy the property as the primary residence or if use of the property has changed during 2022.

Property owners may contact the office at or 218-824-1010 with any questions they may have about the property tax process.

Our newsroom occasionally reports stories under a byline of "Pineandlakes Echo Journal." Often, the "Pineandlakes Echo Journal" byline is used when rewriting basic news briefs that originate from official sources, such as a city press release about a road closure, and which require little or no reporting. At times, this byline is used when a news story includes numerous authors or when the story is formed by aggregating previously reported news from various sources. If outside sources are used, it is noted within the story.

Send us your news or story ideas by emailing or calling 218-855-5877. Be sure to leave a message!
What To Read Next
A look at police reports in the northern Brainerd lakes area - Cass and Crow Wing counties.
Bids to be sought to complete trail in Nisswa, Lake Shore and Fairview Township
Play 500 in Pine River or bridge in Ideal Township
With below zero windchills, here's the weather forecast and tips for participants to stay safe and warm