Classes on foraging, gardening and more offered through Pine River-Backus Community Education
Classes start Sept. 29
PINE RIVER — Pine River-Backus Community Education offers the following upcoming classes. Register online at prbschools.revtrak.net or call 218-587-2080.
- Garlic 101: 6-7:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 29, Pine River-Backus FACS Room 49. Fee: $5.
Kathy Connell will teach participants to save starts, when to plant, how to grow, dry and store garlic. The class will look at sources for purchasing starts.
- Medicare 101: 6:30-7:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 3, in the Pine River-Backus FACS Room 49. Fee: $5.
Instructor Margo Jordan will teach the basics of Medicare and navigation of the Medicare maze. This class is for those turning 65 who want to know how to get started with Medicare or those who already have Medicare who don't understand the options or how the program works.
- Local Foraging - Fun Fall Finds: 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 4, starting in Pine River-Backus FACS Room 49. Fee: $5.
Damon Billington will go over ecological niches and human uses of milkweed, apples, wild angelica, rose hips, sumac and acorns. The class will go into responsible foraging practices to ensure these plants stay around for years to come.
- Creating Comfort for the Dying: 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 4, online and in the Pine River-Backus High School media center Room 251. Fee: $10.
Death Doula Tanya Hanson will teach practical nonmedical ways to help caregivers and loved ones as they experience death together. The class will increase the ability to honor dying loved ones with dignified bedside care, comfort and companionship.
- Autumn Moonlight, a 12x12-inch acrylic painting class: 6-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 4, in the Pine River-Backus High School Art Room 254. Fee: $45.
Christine of Christine Doodles will lead an evening creating a 12-inch by 12-inch acrylic painting. Christine teaches different painting techniques with each class she teaches. She explores how fun it can be to create using everyday household items. All materials are included. Class is for anyone age 16 and up.
- Barre Exercise Class: 6-7 p.m. every Thursday starting Oct. 6 in the Pine River-Backus gym. Enter Door 25. Fee: $15 per session or $60 for a block of 5 sessions.
Instructor Christine will guide 45-minute full body workout classes with a 15-minute cool down. Classes are designed to improve posture and alignment, functional strength, mobility, flexibility, balance and cardiovascular conditioning. Class is for anyone age 16 or older.
- Choosing the Right Seeds from the Right Sources: 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 13, in the Pine River-Backus FACS Room 49. Fee: $5.
Kathy Connell will provide a basic explanation of hybrid, open-pollinated, heirloom and GMO plants. She will go over a list of her favorite seed sources and what to look for when choosing a seed company.