The Pine River-Backus School Board held a virtual meeting Monday, Nov. 16, addressing general business and wrapping up only 21 minutes after the 5:30 p.m. meeting time.
Most importantly, the board had readings of three new policies: 419-Tobacco-free environment, 5:16-student medication, 601-school district curriculum and instruction goals.
Among other things, the tobacco free policy explained that the school district will not accept contributions from tobacco related companies and it laid out school policy banning "electronic delivery devices" for vaping.
The student medication policy outlines the district's policies pertaining to keeping and allowing use of nonprescription medication, as well as accessibility and use of epinephrine, among other policies.
The school district curriculum and instruction goals policy lays out the district's strategic plan for student achievement.
The agenda included a reminder that the district's truth in taxation meeting will be at 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 21, for residents to comment on the budget and property tax proposals.
In other business Monday, the district:
- Approved a leave of absence for paraprofessional Jocelyn Mehrman.
- Accepted resignation of paraprofessional Synclair Gardiner.
- Approved hiring Nolan Toft as junior high girls basketball coach.
- Approved a master agreement with service employees international union Local #284.
- Adopted a resolution establishing a combined polling place for school district elections not held on the day of statewide elections.
- Approved a resolution supporting application to the Minnesota State High School League Foundation.
Travis Grimler may be reached at 218-855-5853 or email@example.com. Follow him on Facebook and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/@PEJ_Travis.