Spencer Igo will be the new face to take over Sandy Layman's seat in House District 5B after the Tuesday, Nov. 3, general election.
Igo, of Grand Rapids, ran on the Republican ticket after Layman, of Cohasset, decided not to re-file for her seat. Igo ran against DFL candidate Joe Abeyta, of Grand Rapids.
House District 5B includes Pine River, Backus, Chickamaw Beach and McKinley, Bull Moose, Pine River, Barclay, Deerfield, Powers and Ponto Lake townships in Cass County, as well as other parts of Cass and Itasca counties.
Other area House and Senate districts saw no changes as the incumbent candidates, all Republicans, won their seats once again.
Senate District 5
Includes the northern half of Cass and parts of Itasca and Beltrami counties.
- Robyn Smith (Legal Marijuana Now) 2,399 (5.3%)
- Dennis Barsness (Grassroots-Legalize Cannabis) 967 (2.14%)
- Justin Eichorn (incumbent, R-Grand Rapids) 25,158 (55.58%)
- Rita Albrecht (DFL) 16,704 (36.9%)
- Write-ins 30 (0.08%)
Senate District 9
Includes parts of Cass, Wadena, Todd and Morrison counties.
- Paul Gazelka (incumbent, R-East Gull Lake) 33,464 (75.60%)
- A. John Peters (DFL) 10,761 (24.31%)
- Write-ins 41 (0.09%)
Senate District 10
Crow Wing and Aitkin counties.
- Carrie Ruud (incumbent, R-Breezy Point) 33,015 (67.54%)
- Steve Samuelson (DFL) 15,825 (32.37%)
- Write-ins - 41 (0.08%)
House District 5B
Includes Pine River, Backus, Chickamaw Beach and McKinley, Bull Moose, Pine River, Barclay, Deerfield, Powers and Ponto Lake townships in Cass County, as well as other parts of Cass and Itasca counties.
- Spencer Igo (R) 14.427 (61.03%)
- Joe Abeyta (DFL) 9,186 (38.86%)
- Write-ins 26 (0.11%)
House District 9A
Includes East Gull Lake, Lake Shore, Fairview, Home Brook, Loon Lake, Wilson, Walden and Bungo townships in Cass County, as well as parts of Wadena and Todd counties.
- John M. Poston (incumbent, R-Lake Shore) 16,409 (73.95%)
- Alex Herring (DFL) 5,749 (25.91%)
- Write-ins 30 (0.14%)
House District 10A
Includes Nisswa, Pequot Lakes, Jenkins, Breezy Point and Gail Lake, Jenkins, Ideal, Pelican, Mission, Center and Lake Edward townships, Brainerd, Baxter and Unorganized Territory in Crow Wing County.
- Josh Heintzeman (incumbent, R-Nisswa) 15,669 (64.93%)
- Dale Menk (DFL) 8,440 (34.97%)
- Write-ins 23 (0.10%)
House District 10B
Includes Crosslake, Manhattan Beach, Fifty Lakes, Emily and Timothy, Fairfield, Little Pine, Ross Lake, Perry Lake and Wolford townships in Crow Wing County, as well as other parts of Crow Wing and all of Aitkin County.
- Dale K. Lueck (incumbent, R-Aitkin) 17,029 (69.42%)
- Gaylene Solarich (DFL) 7.492 (30.54%)
- Write-ins 10 (0.04%)