Gov. Tim Walz authorized emergency assistance for three Minnesota counties - Cass, Kittson and Marshall - that sustained substantive damage caused by severe thunderstorms with heavy rains, flooding and damaging winds between July 15-17.

“In Minnesota, we come together to help each other when our communities need a hand,” Walz said in a news release. “We will work closely with these counties to ensure they have the resources and support they need to recover in the wake of these storms.”

Beginning July 15 and continuing through July 17, these three northern Minnesota counties were impacted by heavy rains and overland flooding. The storms caused extensive damage to public infrastructure across all three counties, including road washouts and damage to utilities.

The State Disaster Assistance Contingency Account will cover 75 percent of eligible costs, which totals an estimated $114,169 for all three counties. The individual counties would be responsible for the remaining 25 percent. The Department of Public Safety division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management will work with Cass, Kittson and Marshall county officials to provide this assistance as directed by the governor.

Newsletter signup for email alerts