Following the August resignation of Tyler Smith from the Backus City Council, John Wieber of Wood Street was appointed to fill his vacancy.
Smith resigned after he moved out of city limits. Wieber put himself forward to fill the vacancy after the August meeting and was unanimously appointed and sworn in during the Monday, Sept. 9, meeting.
Wieber has been a Backus resident for five years and is an active member of the Backus American Legion. He also serves as the Sons of the American Legion financial officer.
In other business, the council:
- Agreed to submit a notice of approval for Ponto Lake Township's project to build a facility where the Backus Fire Department, or future contracted fire departments, can store one or two response vehicles to service the properties on the fringe of the fire district. The council approved because the city will not be expected to share any costs on the building construction. More information will be forthcoming.
- Approved application for a $5,000 wellhead protection grant that would be used for the purchase of a tax forfeited property in a vulnerable emergency response area.
- Agreed to end water and sewer charges for a property on Wood Street once the structures there are demolished. The city traditionally continues charging fees for a year after a property is vacated, but traditionally those properties still have structures connected to water and sewer while being charged.
- Learned there will be a proposal ready before the October council meeting laying out a range of costs for various improvement options for Point Road. Point Road residents have been asking for proposals for improvements on their road and are encouraged to attend.
- Approved variance requests for construction projects on 402 Wood St. North and 562 Wood St. North. The city received no calls or written requests ahead of the zoning hearings before the Sept. 9 regular meeting and there were no objections at the meetings.