Our district recently finalized our new strategic planning and vision statement. Our staff, students, community and school board are focused on being a "destination district focused on shaping the leaders of tomorrow through independence, creativity, and growth."
I know vision statements are just words and only as good as the actions carried out through them.
So, how and why is Pine River-Backus an amazing destination for your child?
- Very small class sizes: We have primary classrooms as low as 16 students. Not all schools are lucky enough to say this, but we are!
- Staff: A simple word, yet this is truly the heart of our operation. We have the best of the best working with young minds every day. We have seasoned veterans, new to career staff and everywhere in between. One common thing that brings us together is our growth mindset: believing that our abilities can continually be developed through dedication and hard work. This mindset creates a love of learning and a resilience that is essential for great accomplishment. Our school continues to try and recruit, retain, and develop highly qualified staff in all areas. This is a top priority.
- Opportunities: Students can participate in physical education, choir, band, general music, technology skills, STEAM, health and much more. There is something for every child in our school.
- Community Education and extracurricular activities: For a district our size, we have many ways to get your child involved. From youth sports, to enrichment, to adult educatio, and beyond, check our opportunities by visiting our website or by reading our catalog of classes. I know you will find something for yourself and/or your child to participate in.
- Full day preschool programming: Our curriculum, schedule and much more is aligned to early indicator standards. Our teachers focus on best practice for young learners. Also, our preschool programming is completely free and so is our transportation! We serve 3, 4 and 5 year olds on site everyday! Staff are available to help answer any questions or get your child enrolled anytime. Call 218-587-8323.
- Early Childhood Family Education: We have a terrific day and evening program. Our Early Childhood Center is a newer addition to our building and is located on the north end of the campus near the football field.
- Facilities: Take a walk around and through our campus and you will understand why this school is a destination district. Our facilities are well maintained and in excellent condition. Our buildings and grounds staff will rival anyone around. I have seen it first hand. Going above and beyond is an understatement. Showing Tiger Pride is the norm around here!
- Safety: Our school continues to focus on making the physical and emotional safety of everyone a top priority. We practice crisis drills using ALICE strategies, we use a PBIS framework that encourages and rewards positive behaviors and efforts, we teach and promote anti-bullying, build positive relationships with each other, and promote fun in school. Things are not perfect, but we are relentless in our efforts!
- Parent-Teacher Organization: Our PTO is amazing. This group groups provides our students and staff with so many opportunities. PR-B PTO meets once a month at 6 p.m. on the third Tuesday. Come join them!
I couldn't be more proud of what we have going on at Pine River-Backus. Tiger Pride is alive and well at PR-B! If you want to see if for yourself, set up a time to visit. We would love to show you around. Contact the office at 218-587-4447 to set up a tour.
Rick Aulie is Pine River-Backus Elementary School principal.