Speech team members from four Brainerd lakes area high schools will compete in the Minnesota State High School League state speech tournament scheduled Friday-Saturday, April 12-13, at Wayzata High School.
The area Class A schools will compete Friday. Class AA will compete Saturday.
In a news release, the Pierz High School reported its speech team will send two students Friday to the state speech meet: Landon Schomer and Calvin Zapzalka. The Pierz speech team results from the Section 5A meet included Zapzalka taking second and Simon Kroll taking fourth in Discussion; Schomer placing third in Informative; Jaron Gross placing fourth in Drama; Ryan Stangl placing seventh in Prose; and Tori Mitchell placing eighth in Drama.
Section 6A students also compete Friday and include:
• Creative Expressions-Ethan Gilbertson and Jonah Johnson, both from Staples High School.
• Discussion-Mollie Pierson, Pequot Lakes High School.
• Duo Interpretation-Andrew Bates and Jaydon Friedel, Staples.
• Great Speeches-Marie (Ari) Brings, Staples, and Megan Buffington, Pequot Lakes.
• Humorous Interpretation-Caden Mrazek, Luke Bates and Sadie Thompson, all of Staples.
• Original Oratory-Samantha Mrazek, Staples.
• Serious Interpretation in Poetry-Macy Judd, Staples.
• Serious Interpretation in Prose-Zach Bauer, Pequot Lakes.
• Storytelling-Synclair Gardiner, Pequot Lakes.
Section 8A students also compete Friday:
• Creative Expression-Katelyn DeLost, Walker-Hackensack-Akeley High School.
• Informative Speaking, Jayda Dickson, WHA.
• Serious Interpretation in Drama-Willow Damar, WHA.
• Storytelling-Molly Massar, WHA.