Pine River-Backus Community Education offers the following upcoming classes.
• Archery: 3rd-8th grades. Fee: $10.
Learn the basics of archery and get some indoor practice this winter. The elementary gym will transform into an archery range.
Potentially running two classes - a beginner class for those who have not shot a compound bow and an advanced class for those who own their own bow and have prior instruction and experience.
This will be a hands-on class with several sessions. Archery class will meet the requirements for archery discipline in 4-H shooting sports, so archery 4-Hers are also encouraged to come to the informational meeting.
Sessions will start in March. Call 218-587-2080 for more schedules and availability.
• In Like a Lion Out Like a Lamb: Tuesday, March 3. Fee: $5.
Create lion and lamb pictures to show the meaning of the class title.
• Tread Softly: 1-3 p.m. Saturday, March 7, at Stone Woman Herbals. Fee: $10.
This class will talk about the structure of feet and reflexology and how to care for feet. The class will whip up foot friendly recipes to fight fungus, soften calluses and rough skin and relax your feet before bed.
Bring a towel, a basin to soak your feet in, and a pair of fresh socks.
• Ultimate Martial Arts (UMA) Karate and Self-Defense: Levels no belt through Green Belt, 5-5:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, $49 per month.
Learn self defense techniques, along with honor, respect and discipline skills that will serve a lifetime. Develop personal self defense that works, along with increased self esteem, mental toughness, confidence and physical fitness.
Call Community Education at 218-587-2080 or UMA at 218-454-8728. Fees are due monthly. Sessions start on the first.
• Early Childhood Screening: 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday, March 2.
In Minnesota, all children are required to complete early childhood screening before they enter kindergarten, or at age 3-plus.
Screening is a free check of a child's dental health, vision, hearing, height, weight and development. Children are screened by licensed teachers.
Screening helps identify children who may benefit from early services before they enter kindergarten. Contact Charity at 218-587-8003.
• Basic First Aid: 5:30-9 p.m. Tuesday, March 17, Pine River-Backus High School Media Center. Fee: $40.
Learn the basics of first aid. Learn the skills for immediate care that you give an individual before someone with more advanced training arrives and takes over.
Certification card is available upon successful completion of course. This course also covers choking.
• American Heart Association (AMA) Heartsaver CPR: 5:30-9 p.m. Thursday, March 19, Pine River-Backus High School Media Center. Fee: $40.
Learn the AHA guidelines for adult, child and infant CPR. Topics include CPR, AED use and choking response methods.
Certification card is available upon successful completion of course.
Register for both first aid and CPR for $70.