After much discussion, the Lake Shore City Council voted 4-1 to have its engineering firm do a study to determine whether part of Port View Road should be improved.

Council member John Terwilliger cast the "no" vote, saying there were better places to spend the $2,500 that Widseth Smith Nolting engineering firm will receive to do the report.

The council first determined Monday, June 24, that a petition from landowners to improve Port View Road west of County Road 107 to the end of the city maintained part of the road (approximately 5,000 feet) is valid.

Then the council, with Terwilliger opposed, authorized WSN to do the feasibility report to determine whether the proposed road improvement is necessary, cost-effective and feasible; whether it should be done as proposed or in connection with another improvement; the estimated cost of the project; and how to calculate individual assessments for affected parcels.

The city would pay 40 percent of the improvement cost; landowners would be assessed the remaining 60 percent.

City Engineer Dave Reese with WSN said some property owners who signed the petition don't directly abut the roadway; some aren't Lake Shore residents; and some would benefit from the improvement. He said that should be considered.

Ray Rasinski, who lives on Port View Road, asked how the petition percentage is determined. Mark Nelson, who lives on Port View Road, said he opposes the project and being assessed.

Terwilliger said the council does not have to proceed with the road project just because it received a valid petition.

Council member Krista Knudsen said the city doesn't yet have enough information to determine whether the road should be improved, including costs, so it must do the feasibility report to get that information to then make a final decision. The council agreed 4-1.

The council engaged in more discussion with audience members regarding road improvements, explaining that since voters opposed paying for road improvements with bonds, the council levied $200,000 in 2019 for road work. Roads being worked on this year are Bass Lake Road, Bass Lake Trail and Schaefer's Point Road.

The council's goal is to keep up with road repairs before expensive total reconstruction becomes necessary. Such is the case with Jacobs Road. The council hopes to receive Local Road Improvement Program funding to help pay for that road.

Jacobs Road was mentioned in an infrastructure workshop the council held in May. The road has to be fixed, but an issue is that few Lake Shore residents use that road.

The council also heard again from residents asking about a gate erected last fall across part of 21st Avenue. The council agreed to talk to Home Brook Township officials about the issue.

Public safety

Police reported 196 incidents in May, including 141 traffic-related incidents and 55 miscellaneous calls. Traffic reports included 113 traffic warnings, 19 traffic citations and three non-injury motor vehicle crashes.

Miscellaneous calls included four suspicious activity, five disturbance/disorderly, three aquatic invasive species violations, two drug-related offenses and one warrant arrest. Lake Shore police assisted other agencies eight times.

The Nisswa Fire Department, which serves Lake Shore, had 28 calls in May. Those included 13 emergency medical services calls, seven vehicle accidents, four fire alarms, two structure fires and one each carbon monoxide call and grass fire.

Fire Chief Shawn Bailey reported the department hopes to start a drone program in July to help with firefighting.

In other business Monday, the council:

• Learned the city's 2018 population estimate is 1,067 people, compared to 1,062 in 2017, according to the state demographer's office. The 2018 household estimate is 487.

• Agreed to close city hall Friday, July 5.

• Approved a memorandum agreement to seek Legacy funds for the Gull Lake Trail.

• Heard Mayor Kevin Egan say talks continue regarding broadband issues in parts of Lake Shore, especially the south and west parts of the city. The city will continue to push hard because there are potential state and federal funds available to expand broadband, he said.

• Learned the city issued 12 land-use permits in May for a total valuation of $1,723,075. Permits included 13 dwellings, seven accessory structures, 12 decks/porches/patios, two septic systems and one commercial addition/landscaping/patio for Agate Lake Resort for decks and pergola.