MN Home Magazine - 2020
• Remodel Your Kitchen: Reimagine, resurface, redesign your kitchen.
• Windows That Wow: Bringing in natural light never goes out of style.
• Trends - Popular building, design and decor trends moving into 2020.
• Water Features - Options to bring the beauty, fun and tranquility of water into your backyard.
• Specialized Storage- Innovative ways to incorporate more storage and maximize space.
• Good Bones - What to look for when considering a home for remodel. Sometimes you just need to imagine the possibilities.
• Home Security - Peace of mind while you’re away can be at your fingertips.
• Remodel Must Haves - From the process of the build to the materials and the way the home functions for years to come.
• Must-Haves Marketplace - Unique finds for your home or cabin.
I always wanted a home with a secret door that lead to a hidden room or passage. We’ve all seen the movies where you pull the fireplace poker handle and the curio case slides to the side. Or the third book on the fourth shelf is really the lever that opens the door into another room. But I don’t live in a gothic mansion and such things are just not reality, right? Not quite.
This might sound like fanciful wishes and fantasy, but you’d be surprised at what can be found in local houses. Yes, here in central Minnesota. There’s a home where you walk past an ordinary broom closet not realizing it’s really the ladder to the children’s “playhouse” which overlooks the living room. In another, if you know just which “knot” in the knotty pine paneling holds the latch, you’ll open the doorway leading to a guest suite. Pretty cool!
Let your imagination run wild as you plan your build or remodel. It doesn’t have to be as elaborate as secret rooms and passages. Maybe it’s as simple as a light switch camouflaged by a door latch so the light turns on when you enter the room. Or hiding a door in the paneling under the staircase so it can be used for storage or kids’ playroom.
Our local builders can be quite ingenious when it comes to creative customized spaces within your home. Work with them to inspire you and your finished building project could be the stuff dreams are made of.
- Linda Hurst, Project Manager