How to get garden answers from a master gardener

University of Minnesota Extension Master Gardeners are available for questions


The arrival of spring in the Brainerd lakes area heralds the beginning of a new gardening season. Those with questions can get garden questions answered by contacting a University of Minnesota Extension Master Gardener who is a trained and certified volunteer for the University of Minnesota Extension. The University of Minnesota Extension provides evidence -based research and best practices to improve the land which sustains us. Horticultural best practices provide the opportunity to promote stewardship and sustainability.

Many are probably familiar with the Ask the Master Gardener column in the Brainerd Dispatch. Garden questions may be emailed to for an answer in the weekly column. While not all questions can be answered in the column, the Master Gardener does reply to all questions that are submitted.

Gardeners may also telephone the Crow Wing County Master Gardener Helpline by calling 218-824-1068 and leaving a message. A University of Minnesota Extension Master Gardener Volunteer will return your call.

For an abundance of comprehensive information visit Visitors will find links to the University of Minnesota Extension regarding what could be wrong with plants, insect and weed identification, how to get a soil test, and other horticulturally related information.

Questions can also be answered at (there is a panel of Master Gardeners who answer horticultural questions at this website.)

Travis Grimler began work at the Echo Journal Jan. 2 of 2013 while the publication was still split in two as the Pine River Journal and Lake Country Echo. He is a full time reporter/photographer/videographer for the paper and operates primarily out of the northern stretch of the coverage area (Hackensack to Jenkins).
What To Read Next
Get Local