Lifestyle Change Class to start May 16 in Brainerd
Currently one out three individuals has pre-diabetes but nine out of 10 times people don't know it.
Pre-diabetes involves blood sugar levels that are higher than normal, but not yet high enough to be diabetes. An individual with pre-diabetes can delay or prevent type 2 diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes. Diet and moderate exercise resulting in a 5%-7% weight loss (usually about 10-15 pounds) often work to bring blood sugar levels back to a healthy range.
The Lifestyle Change Class is a National Diabetes Prevention Program that offers diabetes prevention education and support for people with pre-diabetes. Participants learn how to create a healthier lifestyle and prevent diabetes in a 22-session diabetes prevention program.
Classes will be 5-6 p.m. starting Thursday, May 16, at Essentia Health-St. Joseph's Medical Center, Brainerd. There is no fee to attend. Visit crowwingenergized.org/events/ to register. For more information, contact Kara Schaefer at Kara.Schaefer@EssentiaHealth.org or 218-454-5901.
Groups meet with a trained instructor to help participants lose weight, eat healthier and increase physical activity. Groups meet for 16 sessions over six months and attend six monthly follow-up sessions for the remainder of the year. Each session is one-hour long.
• Session 1: Welcome and Getting Started.
• Session 2: Be a Fat and Calorie Detective.
• Session 3: Ways to Eat Less Fat and Fewer Calories.
• Session 4: Healthy Eating.
• Session 5: Move Those Muscles.
• Session 6: Being Active: A Way of Life.
• Session 7: Tip the Calorie Balance.
• Session 8: Take Charge of What's Around You.
• Session 9: Problem Solving.
• Session 10: Four Keys to Healthy Eating Out.
• Session 11: Talk Back to Negative Thoughts.
• Session 12: The Slippery Slope of Lifestyle Change.
• Session 13: Jump Start Your Activity Plan.
• Session 14: Make Social Cues Work for You.
• Session 15: You Can Manage Stress.
• Session 16: Ways to Stay Motivated.