Cass County 4-Hers participate in Minnesota 4-H State Horse Show
Anna Crosby, Autumn Mongan, Peyton Mongan, Dixie Rowell and Mikey Rowell among participants.
Five 4-H youths from Cass County participated in the Minnesota 4-H State Horse Show on Sept. 17-20, where 591 youths from across the state took part in the annual event at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
The 4-Hers demonstrate their skills and knowledge in hippology (showing knowledge and understanding of equine science and husbandry), horse judging (study of an animal, measuring it against an accepted ideal), horse training and achievement, speech and demonstrations about interest in horses or the horse industry, showmanship and drill team skills.
Youths who participate in the Minnesota 4-H Horse Project learn about show, trail and endurance riding; test their horse knowledge at quiz bowls or on judging teams; and study horse science. Youths may participate if they own or lease a horse. There are options for youths who are interested in horses, but don’t have access to one in their community.
“Through the Minnesota 4-H State Horse Show, youth build communications skills, gain deeper learning and interest in horses, and build relationships with caring adults,” Renee Kostick, Extension Educator who manages the 4-H Horse Project in Minnesota, said in a news release. “These experiences contribute to their success in school, community and futures.”
The following youths were scheduled to be members of the Cass County delegation:
- Anna Crosby: Poles, Barrels, Jumping Figure 8, Key Race
- Autumn Mongan: Western Showmanship, Western Pleasure, Western Horsemanship, Trail, Poles, Jumping Figure 8, Key Race
- Peyton Mongan: Western Showmanship Pleasure Type, Western Pleasure Pleasure Type, Western Horsemanship, Poles, Barrels, Jumping Figure 8, Key Race
- Dixie Rowell: Western Horsemanship, Trail, Poles, Barrels, Jumping Figure 8, Key Race. Dixie placed 7th in Key Race, grade 9
- Mikey Rowell: Western Pleasure, Trail, Jumping Figure 8
- Jourdanna Thurstin: Western Pleasure, Western Horsemanship, Poles, Barrels, Jumping Figure 8, Key Race
To learn more about Minnesota 4-H Horse Project, contact local extension educator Brooke Remer at 218-587-8280 and visit the website, https://z.umn.edu/4HHorseProject.