The Pine River-Backus Family Center is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday. Following is a schedule of events:
- Family center closed: The family center will be closed Tuesday, Dec. 24, through Wednesday, Jan. 1, for the holidays.
- Pine River-Backus CommUnity Meals: Free weekly meals are provided for anyone who is hungry on Mondays at the Riverview Church in Pine River and Tuesdays at the Backus Pine Mountaineer Senior Center. Serving time is 5-6 p.m. For more information or to volunteer, call 218-587-4292.
- Pine River Area Food Shelf: Food shelf hours are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays, and 3:30-7 p.m. on the second Tuesday of the month (Dec. 10). The food shelf will be closed Tuesday, Dec. 24.
- Salty Dog pulled pork fundraiser: This fundraiser will be from 4:30-7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 3., at the Salty Dog. Proceeds benefit the Pine River-Backus Family Center.
- Christmas for Kids: The family center is looking for donations for the Christmas for Kids program. Monetary donations can be dropped off or mailed to the Pine River-Backus Family Center, PO Box 1, Pine River, MN 56474. Donation boxes will be available at local businesses for families to donate toys. Applications for Christmas for Kids are available at the family center.
- Home Visiting Program: The Home Visiting Program has immediate openings for expectant mothers who would like additional support with their pregnancy and parenting their child to 3 years of age. Free prenatal gift bags are available to women who are expecting a baby and live in the Pine River-Backus School District.
- MNsure Navigator: Call 218-587-4292 if you have questions or to set up an appointment.
- Working Together Coalition and Opioid Prevention Team: All are invited to Working Together Coalition meetings. The Pine River-Backus meeting will be at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 17, at the Pine River-Backus Family Center. The Walker-Hackensack-Akeley Coalition will meet at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 19, at the Walker Library. Check the Working Together Coalition website for information on Opioid Prevention Team meetings.
- NAPS: Pick up is from 2-4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10.
- WIC: WIC will be here Wednesday and Thursday, Dec. 4-5. Call Cass County at 218-547-6872 for an appointment.
- Medicare Part D open enrollment: Make appointments at the family center for this enrollment by calling the Senior Linkage Line at 1-800-333-2433.
- Child & Teen Check-Up: There will be no December clinic.
- Family planning: Family planning will be at the family center Tuesday, Dec. 3. Call 877-275-6123 to schedule an appointment.
"Like" the family center on Facebook or visit www.prbfamilycenter.org.