Pine River-Backus Family Center events listed
March is Minnesota FoodShare Month. Watch for the many ways to support the Pine River Food Shelf.
• Food shelf fundraiser: A spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the Pine River Area Food Shelf will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, March 24, at the Pine River American Legion Post 613. To make it easy for people to donate, donation cans are located at various local businesses this month.
• Wonderful Wednesdays: Wonderful Wednesdays is offered for children ages 3 (must be 3 by Sept. 1, 2018), 4 or 5 years old and children who were not in kindergarten this past year. Wonderful Wednesdays runs from 9-11 a.m. mid-June through the beginning of August at PR-B School. Space is limited so register early. Call Karen at the family center.
• Pine River Area Food Shelf: The food shelf is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays, and from 3:30-6 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month, March 12.
• Tax help: There is no free tax help available at the family center this year.
• MNsure Navigator: Call 218-587-4292 if you have questions or to set up an appointment.
• Home Visiting Program: This is a free program through the Pine River-Backus Family Center. Home visiting begins prenatally or before a child is 3 months old and continues through the child's 3rd birthday Weekly home visits are filled with fun activities and information about your child's development. From charting their first milestones, to identifying qualities and characteristics you want in your child, the family support specialist will help you, as a parent, pick out what is important to you and create ways to instill those same values in your children.
Call 218-587-4292 to learn more about home visiting and other parenting resources in your community. Free gift bags are available to all families who are expecting a baby or have a newborn and who live in the Pine River-Backus School District.
• Working Together Coalition and Opioid Prevention Team: The Pine River-Backus WTC meeting will be at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, at the Pine River-Backus Family Center. The Walker-Hackensack-Akeley coalition will meet in March; check the website for details and location.
The OPT meeting will be held at noon Wednesday, March 27, at the Lifehouse in Pine River.
• NAPS: Pick up is from 2-4 p.m. Tuesday, March 12.
• WIC: Will be here Thursday, March 7. Call Cass County at 218-547-1340 for an appointment.
• Child & Teen Checkups, well child checkups: Thursday, March 28. Appointments are still available, as well as for the April C&TC clinic Thursday and Friday, April 25-26. Call Karen at 218-587-4292 to schedule your child's appointment.
The Pine River-Backus Family Center is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday. "Like" the center on Facebook or visit www.prbfamilycenter.org.