The Pine River-Backus Family Center at 245 Barclay Ave. in Pine River is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Thursday and from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays. Contact the family center at 218-587-4292.
Events this month include:
• Pine River Area Food Shelf: Open 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays, and 3:30-6 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month.
• Soups & Sweets: Planning is underway for the sixth annual Soups & Sweets event to raise money for the Pine River Area Food Shelf. The fundraiser is scheduled for 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 21, at the Pine River American Legion. Donations are being sought for the silent auction. Call the family center at 218-587-4292 if you can help.
• Home Visiting Program: There are immediate openings for expectant mothers who would like additional support with their pregnancy and parenting their child until age 3 years. Free prenatal gift bags are available to women who are expecting a baby and who live in the Pine River-Backus School District.
• Working Together Coalition and Opioid Prevention Team: Join the Working Together Coalition at 3 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18, at the Pine River Backus Family Center to learn more about what the group is doing and how to get involved. The monthly coalition meeting will be at 3:30 p.m.
The Opioid Prevention Team will meet from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 19, at the Hub in Hackensack.
• WIC: Is always the first Wednesday and following Thursday.
• Family Planning: The first Tuesday of each month at the family center. Call 877-275-6123 to schedule an appointment.
• Child & Teen Check-Up: Will be here Thursday and Friday, Sept. 27-28. Appointments are available; call Karen at 587-4292 to schedule an appointment.