ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

TDS completes broadband Internet project in parts of Cass, Crow Wing counties

TDS Telecom announces its broadband Internet project in Minnesota - in parts of Cass and Crow Wing counties - is now complete. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) stimulus-funded project makes high-speed Internet accessible to more ...

TDS Telecom announces its broadband Internet project in Minnesota - in parts of Cass and Crow Wing counties - is now complete.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) stimulus-funded project makes high-speed Internet accessible to more businesses and more than 900 area residents.

In October 2013, TDS announced a portion of this project - around Hackensack and Backus - was complete. Now, the entire project, which impacts customers living around Graf, Oshawa, Pequot Lakes, Pine River and Swanburg, is finished.

TDS installed nearly 100 miles of fiber optics cabling and 20 cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) throughout its Arvig Telephone Company.

This is one of 44 projects TDS is receiving funding for from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA. TDS projected the cost at more than $6.7 million. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (nearly $1.7 million) to expand broadband to more businesses and residents.

Related Topics: CASS COUNTYCROW WING COUNTY
What To Read Next
Even if it's not a lucrative venture, the hobby of raising rabbits continues at this farm near Sebeka, Minnesota.
Louis and Cyril Keller are the inventors of the Bobcat skid-steer loader and were selected as 2023 inductees into the National Inventors Hall of Fame.
Norman's family got him into the business, and now helped get him out as well
Feb. 2 meeting will update members and residents on the search, as well as other plans for the coming year