- Member for
- 4 years 2 months
For the third month in a row, the city of Nisswa's recently adopted road assessment policy dominated discussion at the council's regular meeting Wednesday, Oct. 19. The council voted 3-2 last month to adopt a policy to assess residents up to 30 percent of the cost to improve their road, with all city taxpayers paying the remaining 70 percent. Council members Fred Heidmann and Gary Johnson voted against the policy.
A core group of people interested in Pequot Lakes' future has met twice for a total of six hours to talk about the area's strengths, weaknesses and opportunities. Now that group of 30-40 people is ready to take community input to help shape a plan for the future. --- Community input meeting • Tuesday, Nov. 15, 6-8:30 p.m., Pequot Lakes School. • RSVP by Nov. 8 by registering online at www.pequotlakes-mn.gov/ or by calling 218-568-5222 or emailing email@example.com .
The Pequot Lakes City Council learned Tuesday, Oct. 4, the city library will be open until 4 p.m. Saturdays to provide another restroom facility option to the public. The council had studied building a restroom in Trailside Park, but it proved too costly. Signs are now displayed on entrance doors of city businesses noting that public restroom facilities are located at the Pequot Lakes Library, Chamber of Commerce and city hall buildings. Highway 371
The Norway Center at Grand View Lodge in Nisswa was abuzz with fish stories and laughter Sunday, Oct. 9. What else would you expect when 20 current and former members of the Nisswa Guides League gathered for a reunion with family and friends? The gathering included three of the founders of the Nisswa Guides League—fishing "legends" Marv Koep and brothers Ron and Al Lindner. Ron Lindner recounted how they came up with the name while sitting around together 50 years ago.
Though not as big as the annual Minnesota Governor's Fishing Opener, another state tradition to showcase the outdoors has Breezy Point and Pequot Lakes as the host cities. The Minnesota Governor's Deer Hunting Opener is scheduled Thursday-Sunday, Nov. 3-6, at Breezy Point Resort, hosted by the Pequot Lakes Chamber of Commerce. "We're bringing it back home, so to speak," said Matt Kilian, Brainerd Lakes Chamber of Commerce president, referring to the event that started 14 years ago at Cragun's Resort in East Gull Lake.
The Lake Shore City Council on Monday, Sept. 26, adopted a 2017 preliminary levy and budget. The preliminary levy is $759,682, which is a 4 percent decrease from 2016. The overall budget is up 1.6 percent from 2015. The proposed budget includes a 2.5 percent cost of living increase for employees. The capital outlay portion of the budget includes $50,000 in sewer equipment for sewer projects. Changes to the preliminary levy and budget can still be made, but the preliminary levy cannot be increased before final adoption in December.
After a second meeting with heated discussion regarding a policy to assess residents if their road is improved, the Nisswa City Council on Wednesday, Sept. 21, approved the policy 3-2. Council members Fred Heidmann and Gary Johnson voted against the policy that proposes to assess residents 30 percent of the cost to improve their road, with all city taxpayers paying the remaining 70 percent.
About 40 people with a vested interest in Pequot Lakes' future gathered for three hours Tuesday, Sept. 20, at the Cole Memorial Building in Pequot Lakes for the first Thriving Communities Initiative (TCI) core team training. --- Upcoming dates • Thursday, Oct. 13, 5:30-8:30 p.m.: Second core team training. • Tuesday, Nov. 15, 6-8:30 p.m.: Community input meeting • Tuesday, Nov. 29, 5:30-8 p.m.: Plan improvement meeting. • Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017, 5:30-8:30 p.m.: Task force organization and training begins.
People opposed to the Department of Natural Resources' plan to stock muskie in Gull Lake filled Lake Shore City Hall on Monday, Sept. 26, asking the city council to vote again on whether to support the controversial issue. In June, after hearing a presentation from Mark Bacigalupi, Brainerd Fisheries area supervisor with the DNR, and several others in the area who support the DNR's plan to stock muskie in Gull Lake, the Lake Shore council voted 3-2 to support the plan.
As a group of perplexed Nisswa Chamber representatives waited at a Pequot Lakes church, the person they planned to surprise - but couldn't find - was buzzing south on Highway 371 to Brainerd in her mini van. Lynn Fairbanks was supposed to be working her part-time shift at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church on Wednesday afternoon, Sept. 14. That day's United Way Chili Cook-Off in Brainerd had already changed her schedule, and then she remembered her son, Justin, had Special Olympics bowling practice that afternoon.