Backus: Council to seek bids for street project
The Backus City Council agreed to advertise for bids for the city street project.
City engineer Jeff Ledin of Short Elliott Hendrickson said the city should receive more and lower bids by advertising early. Ledin said estimates for the project are still close to the price presented with preliminary plans in December. That cost was approximately $759,860.
In other business Monday, Feb. 5, the council:
• Approved payment for installation of a fuel system at the airport at a cost of $57,454.25, with some funds reserved until an electronic card reader is installed.
• Approved a one-year TDS internet contract at the municipal airport to facilitate the installation of a card reader at the new fueling area.
• Reviewed bids for airfield lighting replacement with the low bid coming from Neo Electric at $177,419 for the base project and an additional optional $17,257.50 for installation of additional navigational equipment. The cost is being shared with the Minnesota Department of Transportation through a 90/10 grant.
• Approved transfer of the negative balance in the city townhome fund to the general fund.
• Approved a franchise agreement with TDS Telecom for internet service in the city. Backus already has a similar agreement with Charter.
• Learned that fire contracts are ready and will not change for this year.