Pequot Lakes: City, school district, chamber to hire joint employee
The city, school district and chamber of commerce in Pequot Lakes are working together to hire a communication director to market all three entities.
Each entity will provide $10,000 this year for salary and marketing for the part-time position, which will be housed at the chamber building under chamber director Chris Monroe. Annual wage is estimated to be $27,000 for a roughly 24-hour work week.
A memo from Monroe said this person will be responsible for developing a comprehensive plan for marketing the business community, school district and city with an eye toward developing a consistent brand and messaging.
The city council approved its portion of funding Tuesday, Jan. 2. Council member Scott Pederson said the position is needed; however, he wants to see how it works in 2018 before committing funding for future years.
Duties for the position would include:
• Creating a newsletter that will go to all residents and businesses in Pequot Lakes, Breezy Point and Jenkins and other communities the school district serves. The newsletter will provide information about city, school district and chamber activities, and celebrate community collaboration and success.
• Creating an annual brochure highlighting all chamber, city and school district annual events.
• Developing a city-wide walking map and guide supported by advertising.
• Implementing a social media campaign using Facebook, Twitter and other platforms.
• Distributing any videos created by the city and/or school district to promote the community.
• Creating an annual event to recognize excellence in the community, such as Business of the Year, Citizen of the Year, Volunteer of the Year, etc.
• Working with the chamber director on annual community festivals.
The position will require someone with graphic design, communication and social media skills, among other qualifications.