Crosslake School: Online students to graduate Jan. 14
A mid-year graduation ceremony for students graduating from Crosslake Community School's online high school program will take place at 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 14, at Crosswoods Clubhouse.
Director Todd Lyscio said he expected two or three students to attend the ceremony, as of Monday, Jan. 8.
Also at the school board meeting that night, the board made the following appointments for the upcoming year: First National Bank of Crosslake, official depositary; MACS, legal counsel; PineandLakes Echo Journal and Northland Press, legal newspapers; parent Lori Scharenbroich, board chair; teacher Mara Powers, vice chair; parent Jeremy Max, secretary; teacher Bev Loeffler, treasurer.
Teachers Lisa Steffen and Lance Swanson joined the board, replacing Lisa Schumacher and Patty Durham.
In other business Monday, the school board:
• Approved maximum class capacity at 19 for grades K-8 for the 2018-19 school year. The enrollment deadline is March 30. Families will be notified of their status by April 16.
• Discussed implementing an early childhood program next year, as there is grant money available for such a program from the Minnesota Department of Education. To prevent from a mid-year start, however, the school would have to find a place to put early childhood students until the new school building opens after Christmas. Teachers suggested some classes could be shifted around in the school building to accommodate an early childhood program until then. Lyscio said he would look into it.
• Learned there will be no school on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Jan. 15, but classes will do service activities throughout January to commemorate King.
• Heard the gymnasium in the new school building will have hardwood flooring instead of synthetic.
• Accepted the resignation of paraprofessional Julie Friday.
• Heard the school's Cabin Fever Carnival will be from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 2, at the school gymnasium.
• Scheduled a special board meeting for 2 p.m. Monday, July 9, for planning purposes.