Pine River-Backus Community Education offers the following upcoming classes. Register online at prbschools.revtrak.net or call 218-587-2080.
• Nature Club: 3-5 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 15, Feb. 5 and 19, March. 5 and 19, Pine River-Backus commons. Fee: $25.
Happy Dancing Turtle staff members Nora and Michelle will lead a class in outdoor fun. In each session they will explore a new part of nature through games, lessons, activities, crafts and more.
Class will mostly be outside, so students should be prepared with coats, snowpants, boots, hats, mittens and scarves.
• Kerbal: 3-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 9, 16, 23 and 30, Pine River-Backus STEAM lab. Fee: $25.
As demonstrated at the NASA STEAM fair, students will learn about the history of spaceflight while assisting the lovable-but-hapless Kerbals as they build rockets and carry out orbital missions. Students master real-world physics and engineering skills to understand STEAM concepts.
Class is for grades 4-12. Instructor is Brent Passarella.
• Measure, Stir, Create: 3-5 p.m. Wednesday, Jan.10, Pine River-Backus Elementary School Room 34. Fee: $5.
Use recipes to make science combinations of hot and cold sensory experiences. Explore changes, textures, smells and sounds. Instructor is Mary Jo Litke.
• Crocheting Is Fun For Everyone: 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 10 and 24, Feb. 7 and 21, March 7 and 21, Pine River-Backus High School Room 46. Fee: $3.
This class is designed for anyone who likes to crochet. The class will make two projects, a hat and a scarf. Students should bring their own supplies. Pick one of two projects, or fast workers can try both. Project completion will require some time at home crocheting. Get help if you need it, or consider offering your own assistance. Amber Haegele will be the instructor.
• The Great Take-Apart Day: 3-5:15 p.m. Thursday, Jan.11, Pine River-Backus High School Room 255. Fee: $5.
This project is for children with mechanically inclined or curious minds. Take things apart and see how they work. Old appliances and mechanical items are available for children to take apart. Adults are welcome, but tools are only for children.
• Snow Dough: 3-7 p.m. Friday, Jan.12, Pine River-Backus High School Room 58. Fee: $5.
Use recipes to make science combinations of hot and cold sensory experiences. Explore changes, textures smells and sounds. For grades K-12. Ryan Hunt will be the instructor.