Missing hunter found 4 days after being lost
REMER—A missing hunter was located after four days of being lost in a swampy area of the Chippewa National Forest in rural Boy Lake Township, north of Remer.
The Cass County Sheriff's Office received a report of the missing hunter in a remote area at 2:15 p.m. Monday. Deputies responded to the scene and learned an adult male was missing from his hunting camp and had no contact with family members since Sept. 21. Deputies searched the area and were unable to locate the individual.
On Tuesday morning, in very wet conditions, search efforts continued and the man was located in an extremely difficult to access wet swampy area within the Chippewa National Forest, Sheriff Tom Burch reported in a news release. The individual was treated on scene and transported by Remer Ambulance to a Deer River Hospital for evaluation. Temperatures during the four-day time period when the man was missing ranged from 82 degrees with very high humidity to lows overnight of 37 degrees. There was also a significant amount of rain during this period.
With the upcoming fall hunting season, the sheriff's office and Minnesota DNR reminds
all area hunters of the following safety considerations:
• Have a detailed map of the area a person is hunting, review it before you leave and carry it with you in the field.
• Carry a compass and know how to use it. Decide ahead of time the direction to head for if you get lost or disoriented.
• Weather can change quickly in Minnesota, so hunters should carry a simple survival kit and be prepared for an unexpected overnight stay in the field. The survival kit should contain a rope, knife, water, waterproof matches, an emergency shelter and first aid supplies.
• Hunters who are on the water, should make sure to wear a life vest.
• Know your hunting partner's physical and emotional limitations, as well as your own, and don't push your partners or yourself beyond those limits.
• If hunting from an elevated stand use a fall-restraint device.
• Always let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return.