SWCD to host annual photo contest
The Crow Wing Soil and Water Conservation District invites photographers of all ages and abilities to submit photos for the 2017 Native Plant and Tree Photo Contest.
The contest submittal period runs through Oct. 30.
"This is a great opportunity for people to discover, explore and learn about native plants that grow around the Brainerd lakes area and photograph the progression of plants and trees from spring to fall," Beth Hippert, district technician, said in a news release.
All entries will be featured on the SWCD Facebook page, website and potentially other educational or promotional items.
The first-place winner will receive a 16-by-20-inch canvas of their photo and the winning photo will be featured at the SWCD booth at the 2018 Crow Wing County Fair.
The second-place winner will receive a mug with the photo on it, and the third-place winner will receive notecards with the photo on them.
The SWCD is featuring past photo contest winners in the 2017 Crow Wing County plat books and will have a silent auction of canvas prints at an upcoming Brainerd Area Environmental Learning Network, or BAELN, event. BAELN will host the Lake and River Friendly Awards at 3 p.m. Thursday, June 15, at the Crow Wing County Land Services Building, 322 Laurel St., Brainerd.
To participate in the photo contest, email photos to tasha.lauerCrow Wing SWCD, 322 Laurel St. Suite 22, Brainerd, MN 56401. A resolution of 300 dpi or 6 megapixel with .jpg format is preferred.
• Entries must feature a plant species that is native to Crow Wing County or surrounding counties.
• Entries must be original work that is property of the person who submits the photo.
• Labels must be on each entry with a name, phone number, name of the plant/tree and what city/town the photo was taken.
• One entry per species, and limit of five entries per person.
• Trademarks, names or advertisements may not appear in the photos.
• Entry will imply consent to use photos for SWCD educational activities.
• Photos will be judged on shot composition, clarity and the inclusion of stems, leaves and flowers.
• Extra points will be awarded for shots that include wildlife.
• Crow Wing County Master Gardeners will judge photos, according to the guidelines listed above.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 218-828-6197.