Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Firefighters subdue, stop Pelican Lake fire

With a Mission firefighter helping, a Nisswa firefighter peers into the burning attic of a home on Pelican Lake Road Thursday evening. Nisswa Fire Chief Richard Geike said the fire started from a ceramic heater in the attic which had overheated. (Brainerd Dispatch/ Steve Kohls)

About 30 firefighters were able to contain and subdue a fire at a home on Pelican Lake Thursday night.

The fire at 26841 Pelican Lake Rd. started after an electrical heater in the kitchen apparently overheated, Nisswa Fire Chief Richard Geike said.

The residents were home when they heard a pop from the heater and went outside to see smoke pouring from the roof. There were no injuries from the fire.

"It was up in the attic, a ceiling-mounted heater," Geike said. "So the fire was all up in the attic."

Firefighters responded to the call within 6-7 minutes and were able to stop the fire before it spread, Geike said. They kept the fire in the attic, he said, and as a result, there's little smoke damage inside the house. Fire damage was limited to the roof and some water damage inside the house.

"It really didn't take that long, we got it knocked down pretty fast," Geike said. "They got here quickly and the guys did a great job."

Geike noted with the high winds Thursday he was surprised firefighters were able to knock the fire down as fast as they did. The flames never got very big, he said, and were kept to a height of a couple feet above the roof.

The call came in at 6:48 p.m., Geike said, and it took about 30-40 minutes to contain and knock down the fire. They were wrapping up at 8:25 p.m., he said, and estimated they'd be leaving the scene by 8:35 p.m.

According to Crow Wing County tax records, the property's taxpayers are John R. and Phyllis S. Struthers.

Firefighters from the Mission, Pequot Lakes and Nisswa fire departments responded to the call.

SPENSER BICKETT may be reached at 218-855-5859 or spenser.bickett@brainerddispatch.com. Follow on Twitter at www.twitter.com/spenserbickett.

Spenser Bickett

Spenser Bickett covers the Brainerd City Council and education. A native of the Twin Cities, Bickett attended the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, where he majored in journalism with a minor in political science. After graduation, he worked for the International Falls Journal as a staff writer before coming to Brainerd.

 
(218) 855-5859
Advertisement