Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Fire destroys pole barn in Nisswa

NISSWA—A pole barn was fully engulfed in flames Sunday afternoon when Nisswa firefighters arrived on the 22000 block of Serenity Lane in Nisswa, Fire Chief Richard Geike said.

Geike said the estimated 40-foot by 30-foot pole barn and its belongings were a complete loss.

About 40 firefighters from Nisswa, Mission Township and Pequot Lakes assisted in extinguishing the fire which was reported around 12:30 p.m. Firefighters were on scene for a few hours with extensive overhaul—the work that is done after the fire is extinguished, such as hosing down the hot spots, tearing off the roof, taking the items out of the barn and cleaning up around the site. Geike said every inch of the pole barn was filled with items such as four wheelers, tools, snowmobiles and propane tanks, which made it more difficult to extinguish the fire.

Geike said it appears a wood stove may have started the fire. Geike said the homeowner, Val Sarff, had started a fire in the wood stove the night before and thought it would burn out.

No one was injured in the fire.

North Memorial Ambulance and Crow Wing County Sheriff's Office assisted at the scene.

The Brainerd Fire Department assisted Nisswa fire with other fire calls that came in while they were working on the pole barn. Brainerd fire responded to a water flow alarm around 1:30 p.m. Sunday at Timberwood Church.

In other fire calls:

The Nisswa Fire Department responded to a call at 1:50 p.m. Friday to a residence on Fernmont Road in Nisswa. It was reported a water heater leaked and filled the house with steam. Firefighters were canceled en route, as the homeowners had called the proper maintenance people to fix the problem.

Advertisement
randomness