Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Hockey players extinguish fire in dorms

Pequot Lakes firefighters respond Tuesday to a possible structure fire Tuesday in the hockey dorms next to the Breezy Point Hockey Center. The Breezy Point North Stars Junior Hockey players extinguished most of the fire before firefighters arrived. (Steve Kohls)

BREEZY POINT - A fire Tuesday in the hockey dorms next to the Breezy Point Hockey Center turned out to be minor, thanks to the hockey players extinguishing the fire before it got out of hand.

Pequot Lakes Fire Chief Tom Nelson said firefighters were called just after 1 p.m. to the fire in the dorms located on Crow Wing County Road 11 in Breezy Point. Nelson said upon arrival, most of the fire was out as the players on the Breezy Point North Stars Junior Hockey program extinguished the fire. Firefighters worked on getting rid of all the smoke and to make sure the fire was completely out.

Nelson said it appears the fire was caused by an open candle burning and some sort of clothing got near the flames and ignited a fire. There were no injuries.

There were 15 Pequot Lakes firefighters at the scene and the Nisswa Fire Department was called for mutual aid, as firefighters were not sure how big the fire was.

The Breezy Point Police Department assisted at the scene.

Advertisement