CLC Performing Arts Center announces new Cultural Arts Series
The Central Lakes Community Performing Arts Center has announced its Cultural Arts Series season for 2017-18, which will include rock and roll, ballet, tap dance and drama. Series producer Patrick Spradlin calls it the largest, most diverse season in the series' 12-year history.
Kicking off the season on Friday, Sept. 15, will be two shows by master entertainers Ted Manderfeld and Dave Eichholz. "What a Wonderful World" will take place at 2 p.m., filled with beloved musical standards, spirituals and sing-alongs liberally sprinkled with comedy, costumes and wit. This show is free for veterans on a first-come, first-served basis the day of show. That evening, the duo returns with its Deuces Wild Dueling Pianos show, a mix of music and parodies ranging from classic rock and country to rap and show tunes beginning at 7:30 p.m.
The rest of the schedule is as follows:
• Sept. 28 - The Fabulous Armadillos, "Takin' it to the Limit - the Music of the Eagles."
• Sept. 30 - The Continental Ballet, "Coppelia," Chalberg Theatre.
• Oct. 6 - Rogue Valley.
• Oct. 19 - "One Night in Memphis," tribute to Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley.
• Nov. 3 - The Hillbenders, "The Who's Tommy: A Bluegrass Opry."
• Nov. 9 - Griffin Theatre Company's "Ghosts of War," the story of Ryan Smithson, who joined the Army when he was seventeen and was later deployed to Iraq as an engineer.
• Dec. 15 - Rock 'n Roll Christmas, Cragun's Resort Sport Centre in Brainerd.
• Dec. 21 - Tonic Sol Fa, "I Still Believe," Tornstrom Auditorium.
• Jan. 6 - Davina and the Vagabonds, 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
• Jan. 26 - Buckets and Tap Shoes, performers use percussion instruments including tap shoes, found objects, drums and buckets.
• Feb. 2 - Sons of the late Bobby Vee, "I am, He Said: A Celebration of the Music of Neil Diamond," Tornstrom Auditorium.
• Feb. 9 - The Ragamala Dance Company of Minneapolis, "Sacred Earth."
• March 9 - The Holy Rocka Rollaz, music of Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash and many more.
• March 23 - The Fabulous Armadillos
• April 7, VocalEssence, "River Songs and Tales," featuring Don Shelby as Mark Twain.
• April 13, The New Standards, jazz trio
The Series will conclude when the Children's Theater Company of Minneapolis presents "Seedfolks" for a public performance at 11 a.m. Saturday, May 19. Where all her neighbors see a rat-infested vacant lot, 9-year-old Kim sees a place to plant some precious beans, and one by one the people of her community sow seeds of hope amid the dirt and grit, tending dreams to full bloom.
Single tickets, packages and group ticket bundles are available from the CLC Theatre Box Office at 218-855-8199 or online at www.clcmn.edu/arts.