Crow Wing Energized offers prediabetes classes
With more than 86 million Americans diagnosed with prediabetes, education and support are vital tools to prevent the disease. That's why Crow Wing Energized offers community education through the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Diabetes Prevention Program to help achieve health and vitality with our communities.
Prediabetes means a person's blood sugar level is higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed with diabetes. The prevention program helps participants make changes, such as eating healthier, incorporating physical activity into their daily lives and improving problem-solving and coping skills. Classes are led by certified lifestyle change coaches using evidence-based curriculum developed by the CDC.
CDC statistics show participants who lose 5 to 7 percent of their weight cut the risk for developing type 2 diabetes by 58 percent. Of the 402 class participants in the local area over the last year, 53 percent met that goal.
Essentia Health, in partnership with Crow Wing Energized, offers this year-long, 22-session diabetes prevention program at no cost to the community to help people make the healthy choice the easy choice. Groups will meet with a trained instructor to help participants lose weight, eat healthier and increase physical activity. If you can't make the first class, registration will be accepted one week after the start date.
The class dates and locations are as follows:
• Essentia Health St. Joseph's Medical Center - 5-6 p.m. Mondays, starting Jan. 8.
• Essentia Health Baxter Clinic - noon to 1 p.m. Wednesdays, starting Jan. 10.
• Brainerd YMCA - 9-10 a.m., Thursdays starting Jan. 11.
• Brainerd YMCA - 5:30-6:30 p.m. Thursdays, starting Jan. 11.
• Essentia Health Brainerd Clinic - noon to 1 p.m. Tuesdays, starting Jan. 16.
• The Log Church in Crosslake - 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesdays, starting Jan. 16.
•Pointway Church - 7-8 p.m. Tuesdays, starting. Jan. 16.