Pine River-Backus Community Education offers the following upcoming classes. Register online at prbschools.revtrak.net or call 218-587-2080.
• Wood Hammering: 3-5 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 6, Pine River-Backus Elementary School Room 34. Fee: $5.
Choose an object to cover with cloth and pound away to see what imprints are in the wood. A variety of hammers will be available. Instructor is Mary Jo Litke.
• Snow Houses: 3-5:15 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 7, Pine River-Backus High School FACS Room 49. Fee: $5.
Build winter wonderland snow houses using crackers and other delicious materials. Participants must bring a pan or cookie sheet to build their house on. Amber Haegele is the instructor.
• Ornament Painting: 5-7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 7, for ages 14 to adult, Pine River-Backus High School Art Room. Fee: $10.
Class will learn to paint a cardinal on an ornament and how to mix colors using acrylic paint. Participants may bring an ornament or pick one in class. Instructor is Renata Remington.
• John M. Rohr Historic Film Screening: 2 p.m. Saturdays, Dec. 9 and March 10, Pine River Depot. Fee: $5 suggested donation.
Heritage Group North invites the community to the Pine River Depot to view excerpts from the John M. Rohr Film Collection shot locally from the 1940s-1960s.
Rohr was the owner of Pine River's Marlow Theatre. As a cinema photographer, he filmed a large collection of local activities, sports and school events, and scenes from the community. This collection has been in storage, unviewed by anyone, for over 50 years.
There will be two separate events, each showing different footage from this historic collection. Pine River Historical Society will serve as instructor.
• Gadget Painting: 3-5 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 13, PR-B Elementary School Room 34. Fee: $5.
This gadget painted creation made of freezer paper is strong enough to be used as a personalized wrapping paper or a wall hanging. Instructor will be Mary Jo Litke.