Take simple steps to prevent spread of aquatic invasive species
With zebra mussels, Eurasian water milfoil and other invasive species continuing to be a threat to the state’s waters and the Brainerd lakes area, DNR 2nd Lt. Rob Haberman, water resource enforcement officer, asks for the public’s help to stop their spread.
By taking a few simple steps, you can help protect our lakes and rivers and avoid a citation. The DNR will use roadside checks throughout the Brainerd lakes area this summer to help stop the spread of invasive species.
Know the law. You may not:
• Transport watercraft without removing the drain plug.
• Arrive at the lake access with the drain plug in place.
• Transport aquatic plants, zebra mussels or other prohibited species on any roadway.
• Launch a watercraft with prohibited species attached.
• Transport water from any Minnesota lakes or rivers.
• Release live bait into the water.
Always remember these simple steps: Clean, drain, dry.