PR-B Community Education lists upcoming classes
To sign up for the following classes, contact Pine River-Backus Community Education at 218-587-2080 or register online prbschools.revtrak.net.
• Survival Class Youth & Adult (ages 11-adult): 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, April 26, in the commons (door 17) and school forest. Fee: $15.
This class will include hands-on and classroom style instruction scheduled both indoors and outdoors centered on hunting and camping survival skills. Survival supplies will be given out in class, including canteen, multi-use whistle, emergency blanket, compass and flint starter.
Class activities include basic first aid, signs of being lost, fire building, materials and supplies, shelter types and construction, rescue techniques, safe water, MREs and how to make one.
Instructors are Rodney Helms and Shawn Birr.
• The Art of Letter Writing: 6-7:30 p.m. Monday, April 28, PR-B High School Media Center. Fee: $2.
Learn how to mark an occasion with a letter. Class will include examples of letters, exercises to generate ideas and details and templates for several types of letters.
This class is mainly for adults; however, children ages 9 and older are welcome when accompanied by an adult. Instructor is Jenny Hill.
• Microwave Magic (fourth grade and older): 3:15-4:45 p.m. Tuesday, April 29, and Thursday, May 1, in PR-B High School Room 49. Fee: $15.
Learn the basics of using a microwave and get to eat yummy food. Class will teach an introduction to microwaves, basics of microwaving, testing wattage of microwaves and dairy discoveries.
Participants will make a few snacks using the microwave. They must be able to use a knife.
Instructor is Marcy Cordova, Cass County 4-H program coordinator.
• Preparing for Foraging Season: 6 p.m. April 29, May 27, June 24 and July 22, PR-B High School Room 58. Fee: Free. Pre-registration is required.
Get acquainted with the basics of wild food harvesting and safety. Combine reference materials, group knowledge and common sense to identify plants. Learn to identify key/safe wild foods, dangerous plant life, places that may offer foraging opportunities and safety rules for wilderness settings. Learn to prepare wild foods in an appealing recipe and prepare for foraging by collecting proper tools, clothes, reference materials, etc.
Bring a notebook and pencil to the first class. Instructor is Travis Grimler.
• Ultimate Martial Arts Karate Self-Defense: 5:30-6:10 p.m. and 6:15-6:55 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, PR-B Elementary School Music Room (door 32). Fee: $49 per month.
• Women’s Kickboxing: 7-7:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, PR-B Elementary School Music Room (door 32). Fee: $45 per month.