Pine River-Backus Community Education lists upcoming classes
Pine River-Backus Community Education offers the following upcoming classes. Register for all classes online at prbschool.revtrak.net or mail form to Community Education, PO Box 610, Pine River, MN 56474. Call 218-587-2080 for more information.
• Ultimate Martial Arts (UMA) Karate and Self-Defense with Master Instructor 6th Degree Black Belt Rob Nelson in the wrestling gym/door 5.
Children ages 4-5 will meet from 6:30-7:15 p.m. Tuesdays. Cost is $25 per month.
Juniors ages 6-12 will meet from 6:30-715 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Cost is $49 per month.
Adults ages 13 and older will meet from 6:30-7:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Cost is $49 per month.
Testing and uniforms are available for an extra fee (family discounts are available).
Call Community Education at 218-587-2080 or UMA at 218-454-8728.
• Crafting Together is a free crafting group where participants bring their own craft projects to work on. Crafting tools will be available to learn a new technique or try a new tool. Time is offered from 6-9 p.m. the first Mondays of the month in PR-B High School Room 46 (Jan. 6, Feb. 3 and March 3).
Pre-registration is required through Community Education at 218-587-2080. Group leader is Paula Schroeder.
• Gymnastics Camp for second- through sixth-graders, 3:15-5 p.m. Jan. 6-10. Cost is $15. Learn basic tumbling skills or build skills with flips and more. Students will meet in the commons for a free snack and can be picked up at door 32 (near the elementary gym). Instructor is Nicole Smith.
• Youth Dance. Cost is $20 per month. Learn the basic fundamentals of dance by focusing on balance, lines, flexibility and a wide variety of dance styles, such as jazz, ballet, hip-hop and dance-line routines. Dancers will be grouped by age. The goal is to minimize costume expenses and have performances scheduled throughout the year.
Instructor is Emily Davidson. Pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students will meet from 5-6 p.m. Tuesdays. Grades 1-3 will meet from 3-4 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Grades 4-6 will meet from 4-5 p.m. Tuesdays and 4-6 p.m. Thursdays.
• Let’s Skate, 3-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 7-Feb. 25, for first- through fourth-graders. Suggested donation is $5 per class. Practice skating and learn the basic skating fundamentals, as well as basic puck handling and passing. All pucks will remain on the ice. Bring a hockey stick to practice if you have one. Sign up for a couple classes or sign up for all classes. A bus will be provided to the ice rink. Parents must pick up students from the ice rink near the Pine River Post Office. Instructor is Kevin Haegele.
• Snowshoeing, 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 11, in the school forest for fifth-graders to adults. Fee is $5. Learn about snowshoeing while experiencing the great outdoors. Class is limited to 20 people and will be canceled depending on weather conditions. Meet near the PR-B Commons Door 17.