Free income tax help for all ages
The IRS and state of Minnesota have trained and certified volunteers to help people prepare federal and state income tax returns, as well as Minnesota property tax or renters refunds.
This program is co-sponsored by the IRS, state of Minnesota and AARP.
Handicap accessible sites are open to people of all ages. Bring Social Security cards (federal and state officials will adjust tax forms if incorrect Social Security numbers and names are given to counselors), W-2s, 1099s, last year’s tax forms, child care expenses and any other information needed to complete tax forms. Bring 2013 and 2014 property tax statements to complete federal taxes.
E-filers must bring Social Security cards for proper input information. 2013 property tax refund requires 2014 property tax statement for homeowners and 2013 CRPs for renters refund.
Beginning Jan. 1, for 2013 income tax the state of Minnesota is no longer issuing paper checks for refunds; refunds will only be direct deposit or issued debit cards.
For more information, contact Patty Herheim, Cass County district coordinator, at 218-342-3373; Carolyn Rude at 218-547-2085; or any of the counselors listed below.
Sites will be open through April 15.
• Backus: Backus City Hall, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays. Roseanne Budahl, 547-1568; Pat Invie, 587-2848; or Gayle Wagner.
• Emily/Outing: Crooked Lake Town Hall, 2-6 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Tom Martin at 792-5903 on Monday-Thursday only.
• Emily: Emily City Hall, 2-6 p.m. Thursdays. Call Tom Martin at 792-5903 on Monday-Thursday only.
• Hackensack: Senior Citizens Building, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays. Char Bergstrom, 675-6105; or Tom Synstegard.
• Longville: First National Bank of Walker, 8-9:30 a.m. Thursdays by appointment only; 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. for walk-ins. For an appointment, call Marie Reineck at 218-839-2538.
• Pillager: Sylvan Town Hall, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays. Chad Converse, 352-6987.
• Pine River: Pine River-Backus Family Center, 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays. By appointment only at 587-4292.
• Woman Lake: Woodrow Town Hall, noon to 3 p.m. Tuesdays. Call Patty Herheim at 218-342-3373.