Public encouraged to take online strategic plan survey for Pequot Lakes School District
The Pequot Lakes School Board is still encouraging the public to take an online strategic plan survey to help shape the district’s future.
The survey is four open-ended questions and is online at pequotlakes.k12.us. It will be open until Feb. 21. It’s also available in paper form at the district office.
The goal is to develop a vision of what the school district will look like in the year 2020. Once that vision is created, the district will develop strategic directions to achieve that vision.
The school board plans to meet March 3 to discuss community feedback and to begin developing a vision statement.
In other business Monday, Feb. 10, the board:
• Accepted the following staff resignations: Gary Wolf, middle level boys’ track coach; Kelly Carlson, assistant girls’ hockey coach; and Jerry Braam, assistant baseball coach.
• Approved childcare leave for Kristen Gabrielson around April 7 through the end of the school year.
• Approved the following staff contracts: Matt Ingman, middle level boys’ golf; Chad Rudbeck, junior varsity softball; Lisa Martini and Kate Dale, both middle level softball; and Mike Sommerness, middle level Knowledge Bowl.
• Recognized a staff lane change for Rachael Schumer.
• Approved the purchase of a 10-passenger van from Polar Chevrolet of White Bear Lake to accommodate an increase in the number of students requiring special transportation for the spring sports season.
• Heard Patty Buell, food service director, plans a pilot program in March to get all students to eat a free breakfast.
• Learned that Lakes Gas has put the school on curtailment three times during high peak times this winter, meaning the gas company shifted the school from natural gas to propane at those times.
• Accepted donations: $1,800 from the Patriot Athletic Club for middle level girls’ basketball uniforms; $4,140 grant from the Five Wings Arts Council for the Pequot Lakes Community Theatre production of “Spitfire Grill;” and three boxes of formalwear from Arlene’s Bridal for Pequot Lakes Community Theatre.
• Approved construction bond disbursements for $17,421.
• Heard a detailed technology update from Kevin Furst, technology integration coordinator.
Board chair Kim Bolz-Andolshek chaired the meeting via Skype from Missouri.
March 3: School board work session, 6 p.m.
March 17: Regular school board meeting, 7 p.m.
April 7: Board work session, 6 p.m.
April 21: Regular school board meeting, 7 p.m.
Nancy Vogt can be reached at email@example.com. Follow her on Facebook and on Twitter @PEJ_Nancy.