Emily City Council discusses trail
The Emily City Council decided to market a public trail system survey to the public, according to November meeting minutes.
The council met with Chad Katzenberger of Short Elliott Hendrickson (SEH) engineering firm, who presented a trail feasibility study and grant application. The fee for this service would have been $10,500 with $3,500 reimbursable. Council member Jan Mosman made a motion at the November meeting to approve the agreement with SEH to conduct the feasibility study and grant application. The motion failed after discussion.
Council member Ryan Johnson said he would like to consider routing the trail behind the Wesleyan Church for safety, as improvements are scheduled for State Highway 6 in 2017. Mosman would like to coordinate with the state for the location.
Johnson made a motion to table the SEH proposal, which passed.
Mosman then made a motion to market a public trail system survey to the public with a deadline of Dec. 1. This motion passed.
In other November business, the council:
• Acknowleged the passing of former council member Bob Swanson. A moment of silence was then taken.
• Approved a conditional use permit for the Wigwam motel with conditions.
• Scheduled a public hearing for the December planning and zoning meeting to discuss rezoning.
• Learned that the Minnesota Department of Transportation will provide the city with copies of its records regarding the Northern Lights Over Roosevelt Lake development so the council can ensure the developer is following through on requirements.
• Approved spending up to $850 on entrance railing from Menard’s.
• Agreed to lift a moratorium on road projects.
• Agreed to reduce police department hours from 30 to 20 hours per week from Dec. 1 to April 30.
• Accepted the resignations of police officers Jason Rice and Jon Abear and agreed to advertise in the newspaper for a part-time police officer.
• Tabled discussion regarding making improvements to the police garage.
• Approved a motion to certify unpaid sewer charges to property taxes in the amount of $3,550,17.
• Refunded Roosevelt and Lawrence Area Lake Association for unspent watercraft inspection donations in the amount of $410.
• Approved the estimate for flag pole lighting installation for $400.
• Tabled discussion of a timber sale contract with Timberlane Forestry.
• Approved the personnel committee’s recommendation to update the job description for the permanent part-time maintenance worker/boiler operator at $14 per hour effective Jan. 1, 2014.
• Approved the personnel committee’s recommendation to hire Cari Johnson as utility billing/office assistant at $12 per hour for 22 hours per week starting Dec. 1, 2013.
• Terminated the position of deputy clerk, effective Nov. 1, 2013.
• Approved a resolution requesting a water quality study by the DNR.
• Approved the basic insurance coverage plan for the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust Accident Plan for city volunteers.