Forestry Field Day planned Sept. 14 near Motley
The Central Minnesota Small Woodlot Owners Association (CMSWOA) will host a Forestry Demonstration Field Day at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at the Tom Bisek property in southwestern Cass County.
Meet at the Bisek property located at 10333 Snake Trail S.W. in Becker Township, about 11 miles north and west of Motley.
Before lunch, short presentations will be given by:
• CMSWOA Chairman Chad Converse on Family Forest Stewardship and Property Taxes, including the 2c Managed Forest Land property tax classification and the Sustainable Forest Incentive Act (SFIA).
• Director Doug Ploof will review his method of Repelling Deer Flies while working in the woods.
Lunch will be provided on the site at minimal cost to those preregistered.
Following lunch at 1 p.m., Director Tom Bisek and his family will lead a field tour of their property. The Biseks own 160 acres of upland forest and open areas and wetlands. The management practices to be shown include:
• Establishing trees and shrubs on an old agricultural field.
• Bee keeping, the good and the bad.
• Using a pond to attract wildlife (hunting experiences).
• Establishing food plots for wildlife.
• Recreational trails.
The day should end about 3:30 p.m.
To arrange for the proper number of lunches and refreshments, preregistration is requested by Sept. 12. To preregister, contact Dean Makey at 218-833-8700 or email@example.com. Leave your name, phone number and the number of people attending.
Dress for the weather and wear appropriate footwear.