SWCD hosts photo contest
Crow Wing Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) invites photographers of all ages and abilities to submit their photos for the 2013 Native Plant Photo Contest.
Melissa Barrick, district manager, said, “The top twelve entries will be featured in a monthly Crow Wing SWCD e-newsletter and receive gift certificates for the 2014 SWCD Tree and Plant Sale.”
Brainerd Chapter of the Wild Ones-Native Plants Natural Landscapes will judge photos, according to the guidelines listed below.
E-mail your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Crow Wing SWCD, 322 Laurel St. Suite 13. Brainerd, MN 56401. Deadline: July 29, 2013
• Entries must be original work that is property of the person who submits the photo.
• Label each entry with your name, county where photo was taken, and name of the plant.
• One entry per species, limit of five entries per season.
• Submit photo by email in digital format, .jpg format preferred.
• One entry per email
• Trademarks, commercial names or advertisements may not appear in the photos.
• Entry will imply consent to use photos for SWCD promotional activities
• Photos will be judged on shot composition, clarity, and the inclusion of stems, leaves, and flowers. Extra points will be awarded for shots that include wildlife.
Plant photos wanted
Trees and Shrubs:
1. High-Bush Cranberry (Viburnum trilobum)
2. Balsam Fir (Abies balsamae)
3. Jack Pine (Pinus banksiana)
4. June Berry (Amelanchier alnifolia)
5. Red-berried Elder(Sambucus racemosa)
6. Red Maple (Acer rubrum)
7. Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea)
8. Sandbar Willow (Salix exigua)
9. White Cedar (Thuja occidentalis)
10. White Pine (Pinus strobus)
11. White Spruce (Picea glauca)
12. Yellow Birch (Betula alleghaniensis)
Plants and Grasses:
1. Anemone Canadensis (Canada anemone)
2. Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa)
3. Columbine (Aguilegia canadensis)
4. Eastern Star Sedge (Carex raidiata)
5. Marsh Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata)
6. Ohio Spiderwort (Tradescantia ohiensis)
7. Prairie Smoke (Geum triflorum)
8. Spotted Geranium (Geranium maculatum)
9. Stiff Tickseed (Coreopsis palmata)
10. Torrey’s Rush (Juncus torreyi)
11. Woodland Phlox (Phlox divaricata)
12. Woolly Sedge (Carex pellita)