District to purchase new computers
The Pequot Lakes School Board agreed Monday night, April 15, to move forward on a technology package totaling $282,491.17 for new computers.
For two labs, a middle level and a high school lab, 72 stationary personal computers were purchased. Another 36 iMac computers were purchased for another middle level lab.
Three carts of MacBook Pros were purchased. Each cart will hold 30 laptops, creating one mobile lab each for the high school, middle level and Eagle View Elementary School.
The package also includes four carts of Chrome Books for seventh- and eighth-grade English language arts, high school English language arts and eighth-grade geography. There will be 30 computers on each cart.
The music lab is also getting updated with 18 computers as part of the package.
The board commented that the technology purchase is an investment, and said the upgrade was necessary in order to get on a cycle for updates in the future.
In other business Monday, the board:
• Accepted the resignations of Garry Grewe, head boys’ basketball coach; Brian Lempola, assistant boys’ basketball coach; Mary Lawrence, paraprofessional; Christine Rudolph, custodian; and Jacob Box, assistant football coach.
• Accepted the retirement of Brad Myers, custodian, and Darla Terry, elementary teacher.
• Agreed to pay superintendent Rick Linnell, who has resigned effective this June, for up to 30 unused vacation days. Linnell was absent from the meeting.
• Decided to switch to a new finance software. Business Director Lea St. Onge said the new software will save time and costs less than the previously used software.
• Accepted donations from the community amounting to more than $15,000. The board thanked donors for their generosity and support.
• Heard from high school principal Chip Rankin about the Day of Caring he’s planning for May 9. On that day, students, along with any volunteers who would like to join in, will perform community service work in Pequot Lakes and surrounding communities to show thanks for the community’s support and to give back.