Crow Wing County offers septic system upgrade assistance program
Crow Wing County and Region Five Development Commission (R5DC) received a grant from the Minnesota Board of Water & Soil Resources to assist with replacement or repair of septic systems for low and very low income landowners in order to improve and protect water quality in Crow Wing County.
• R5DC will provide a loan at 3 percent for 60 months for the balance of the bid.
• Priority will be given to low and very low income landowners.
• All need-based low-income applicants would be funded to some degree, pending repayment ability, as determined by the NCEDA Loan Board.
• Grant funds will depend on cost of system, yearly income and size of household.
• Potential grant amounts: very low income, $3,000-$5,000; low income, $2,000-$4,000; moderate income, $1,000-$2,000.
• Grant will pay for closing costs.
• $50 application fee (used to off-set cost of obtaining a credit report).
• Terms of loans, five years at 3 percent, are set by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.
• Loans can be paid off at any time with no pre-payment penalty.
• Example of monthly repayment costs: cost of system prior to receipt of grant is $8,000, $5,000 or $3,000, monthly payment would be $143.75, $89.84 or $53.91, respectively.
• Applications are available online at www.regionfive.org/forms.
For more information or to have an application mailed, contact Anne at Region 5 at 218-894-6011 or Crow Wing County Environmental Services at 218-824-1125 or firstname.lastname@example.org.