Jerry Peterson back on PR-B board in 2013
In a 3-2 vote Tuesday, Dec. 18, current board member Jerry Peterson, whose term would have ended Dec. 31, was appointed to the vacant seat on the Pine River-Backus School Board.
Peterson lost the recent election to incumbent board members Barb Beck and Jim Coffland, and newly elected board member Chris Cunningham.
The vacant board position opened when John Palmer resigned from the school board, effective Nov. 5.
Board member Sandra Poferl and board chair Garny Gaffey voted against appointing Peterson. Gaffey said he would have favored accepting applications and holding interviews over appointing immediately.
Because Peterson was appointed to Palmer’s position, he will serve for the remainder of Palmer’s term, which is effective through 2014.
In other business Dec. 18, the board:
• Observed a moment of silence for the victims of the events at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
• Heard a presentation on how teachers are using iPads in the classroom.
• Discussed superintendent goals. Some board members suggested creating a subcommittee to combine superintendent goals with some of the points on the superintendent evaluation; others disagreed. No action was taken.
• Discussed filling a clerical position vacated last May, but decided against it.
• Discussed changing a short-hour food service position to a cook position, but took no action.
• Authorized posting for a transportation dispatcher, and an elementary teacher to begin Jan. 21. The elementary teacher will work with small groups in reading and math and will be paid with rural and low income grant money.