Fish shelter identification required
DNR reminds ice anglers and others that shelters placed on the ice of Minnesota waters must have either the owner’s complete name and address, a driver’s license number, or the nine-digit DNR number on the license of the owner plainly and legibly displayed on the outside of the shelter, in letters and figures at least two inches high.
Other shelter regulations include:
• Shelter may not be left unattended any time between midnight and one hour prior to sunrise unless the shelter is licensed.
• A tag, furnished with a license, must be attached to the exterior in a visible location.
• Shelters left on the ice overnight need to have at least two square inches of reflective material on each side of the house.
• People may not erect a shelter within 10 feet of an existing shelter.
• Shelter owners are reminded to take appropriate steps to keep their houses from freezing onto ice surfaces.